Investment Help

If you are seeking investment help, look at the video here on my services. If you are seeking a different approach to managing your assets, you have landed at the right spot. I am a fee-only advisor registered in the State of Maryland, charge less than half the going rate for investment management, and seek to teach individuals how to manage their own assets using low-cost indexed exchange traded funds. Please call or email me if interested in further details. My website is at http://www.rwinvestmentstrategies.com. If you are new to investing, take a look at the "DIY Investor Newbie" posts here by typing "newbie" in the search box above to the left. These take you through the basics of what you need to know in getting started on doing your own investing.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Impact of Rising Interest Rates on Portfolios

Here are the numbers from an Edward Jones study interviewing 1,008 people as reported by Barron's (8/26/2013, p. 16).

63% said they don't know how rising rates affect their investment portfolios.
24% say they're completely in the dark about potential effects.
33% of respondents between 18 and 34 admit they don't know the impact of rates.
19% of men said they don't understand the specific impact.
First off, to understand rate movements and bond returns, investors need to understand that bond prices and interest rates move in opposite directions.  When rates rise, bond prices drop and vice versa. Secondly, in addition to the change in price, bond returns are impacted by accrued interest.  Thus, holding a bond with a yield of 3% will contribute that yield to the total return over the course of the year and will add to the impact of the unrealized capital gain or loss.  Over a 6-month period, it will contribute half of that, or 1.5% and so on.

The trick, then, is to get a handle on what will happen to bond prices as yields change.  For this purpose, the investor needs the duration of the bond portfolio or the individual bonds.  Let's back up a moment and think about this.  At first cut, a little thought will reveal that a bond with a longer maturity will have a price volatility greater than that of a bond with a shorter maturity.  But, this isn't enough. Consider two bonds with 5-year maturities, but the first bond pays a coupon of 5% and the second bond pays a coupon of 2%.  These are clearly two different animals with very different cash flows.  In fact, the bond with the 2% coupon has a more volatile price because its cash flows come in slower.

This difference is handled by a metric known as duration.  Duration is the key to estimating the impact on bond prices from a change in yields.  Let's consider a simple example.

Go to Morningstar, an excellent source for finding bond fund durations, and put AGG into the quote box.  AGG is the ETF which tracks the Barclay's Aggregate bond index.  It is used by many investors as the main investment for their bond or fixed income assets.  Hitting the quote button brings you to a page from which you need two pieces of information:  the yield and duration.

Source: Morningstar
As shown, yield on AGG is 2.40%.  On the same page, scroll down and find the duration on the right hand side.




With this information at hand, calculating the approximate impact of a change in yields is straightforward once you understand that duration tells you the change in price per 1% change in yields.  For example, assume that AGG comprises 40% of our portfolio and assume that yields rise 1% over the next 12 months (for example, the yield on the 10-year Treasury note rises from 2.9% to 3.9%).  Then the impact on portfolio return would be approximately .4*(-5.08+2.4%) = -1.07%.  If yields rise 2%, the impact would be approximately .4*(-10.16+2.4) = -3.90%.

If you play around with this, you can see the impact of time (getting 2.4% yield over 12 months as a cushion), portfolio weighting (the .4), etc.

It is a fairly simple step to bring in other bond funds or even individual bonds once you have their durations and yields.  Hopefully, you can see here how the recent sharp rise in yields over a short period of time, as well as the possibility of a longer-term increase, has unnerved investors.  And, hopefully, this short explanation reduces the percentages of people who don't understand the impact of bond yields on their portfolio  ;)

2 comments:

  1. 1 Problem: HP Printer not connecting to my laptop.
    I had an issue while connecting my 2 year old HP printer to my brother's laptop that I had borrowed for starting my own business. I used a quick google search to fix the problem but that did not help me.
    I then decided to get professional help to solve my problem. After having received many quotations from various companies, i decided to go ahead with Online Tech Repair (www.onlinetechrepairs.com).
    Reasons I chose them over the others:
    1) They were extremely friendly and patient with me during my initial discussions and responded promptly to my request.
    2) Their prices were extremely reasonable.
    3) They were ready and willing to walk me through the entire process step by step and were on call with me till i got it fixed.
    How did they do it
    1) They first asked me to state my problem clearly and asked me a few questions. This was done to detect any physical connectivity issues with the printer.
    2) After having answered this, they confirmed that the printer and the laptop were functioning correctly.
    3) They then, asked me if they could access my laptop remotely to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. I agreed.
    4) One of the tech support executives accessed my laptop and started troubleshooting.
    5) I sat back and watched as the tech support executive was navigating my laptop to spot the issue. The issue was fixed.
    6) I was told that it was due to an older version of the driver that had been installed.

    My Experience
    I loved the entire friendly conversation that took place with them. They understood my needs clearly and acted upon the solution immediately. Being a technical noob, i sometimes find it difficult to communicate with tech support teams. It was a very different experience with the guys at Online Tech Repairs. You can check out their website www.onlinetechrepairs.com or call them on 1-914-613-3786.
    Would definitely recommend this service to anyone who needs help fixing their computers.
    Thanks a ton guys. Great Job....!!

    ReplyDelete