Investment Help

If you are seeking investment help, look at the video here on my services. If you are seeking a different approach to managing your assets, you have landed at the right spot. I am a fee-only advisor registered in the State of Maryland, charge less than half the going rate for investment management, and seek to teach individuals how to manage their own assets using low-cost indexed exchange traded funds. Please call or email me if interested in further details. My website is at http://www.rwinvestmentstrategies.com. If you are new to investing, take a look at the "DIY Investor Newbie" posts here by typing "newbie" in the search box above to the left. These take you through the basics of what you need to know in getting started on doing your own investing.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Are You Beating the College Endowment Funds?

The big college endowments are staffed, presumably, with the best and the brightest investment talent--graduates, in fact, of the top business schools in the nation.  They invest in esoteric sectors of the market, use sophisticated tactical allocation strategies, and have access to CEOs and top strategists in the investment world.  Surely they outperform little old you and me?  Not so fast.  Check out this table of 5-year average annualized returns for the period 7/31/2013 presented in the Morningstar article by John Rekenthaler, "Are 401(k) Funds Second-Rate?":



Harvard
1.7%
Yale
3.3%
Texas
3.4%
Stanford
3.3%
Princeton
4.2%
MIT
5.3%
Michigan
3.3%
Columbia
6.8%
Pennsylvania
5.4%
Notre Dame
4.3%


The average return of the endowments over the period was 4.1%.  Get this:  the Vanguard Target Retirement 2030 Fund returned 5.2%.  No multi-million dollar salaries, no fancy models, no big time MBAs.  If you checked the box at your 401(k) that automatically invested in a Target Fund, you very likely did better than the largest endowment funds!

This is just another instance of so-called "lazy portfolios" tending to outperform 7 out of 10 active managers over the long term.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I think u have posted the best article according to information. keep it up I will be glad to see such informative and helping article from u

    uk assignment WRITER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, you have posted such precious and informative article which gave me lot of information. I hope that you will keep it up and we will have more informative and helping news from you. Thanks
    Online Writing Service

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very agitated that I have discovered your post because I have been penetrating for some information on this for about two

    hours. You have helped me a lot undeniably and by reading this article. I have found much new and valuable information about this

    subject. I was guessing if you could write a little more on this subject? I’d be grateful if you could involved a little bit

    more.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Vsisit my site http://www.onlinewritingservice.co.uk/essay-writing-service.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really wonderful information

    ReplyDelete